Annfield Plain Juniors and Annfield Plain Infant schools closed today Monday 24th February 2020 due to snow.
Follow the link to see our recent Northern Echo feature all about our year of Brass as part of the Durham Brass Festival. https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/northdurham/17900146.annfield-plain-junior-school-pupils-get-year-brass-tuition-part-legacy-durham-brass-festival/
Autumn Life Skills Staying Safe Week: 11th-14th November, 2019
Children took part in our annual educational staying safe week, including visits and workshops with: the police around e-safety, the fire brigade on fire safety, NUFC heartstart training, Hadrian’s first aid workshops, the school nurse workshops and in-school activities focused on the needs identified from their class survey. Year 6 also attended the annual safety carousel and year 3 completed pedestrian training.
Pupils again said they felt the least safe outside of school – try using our staying safe leaflet, anti-bullying leaflet and e-safety leaflet, to discuss this and other safety issues with your child.
The Fire Service have asked us to remind the community that free fire alarms can be fitted in your house – contact the Community Safety Department on: 03452234221. Also they have asked us to share the Firestoppers number with you, if you see a fire being started call: 0800 169 5558.
Spring Life Skills Respect & Diversity Week: 3rd – 7th February, 2020
Summer Life Skills Health & Fitness Week: 18th – 21st May, 2020
Parent information, celebration and support sessions 2019-20
- September – Year 3 parents’ drop-in session.
- Thursday 21st November 9 to 10 am – mental health and wellbeing support workshop.
- Monday 21st and Wednesday 23rd October, 3:15-5:30pm – parents’ evenings.
- Monday 18th November, 5pm – Howtown information session.
- Friday 20th December, 10 am at Annfield Plain Methodist Church – Nativity Play “What does Christmas mean to you?”.
- Thursday 9th January, 5pm – Year 6 SATs meeting.
- Wednesday 5th February, 2pm – “Think Sensory, Not Behaviour” workshop, delivered by Treetops sensory team. (Practical support for parents of children displaying anxiety, struggling to sit still, dislike of loud noises etc.)
- Monday 9th and Wednesday 11th March, 3:15-5:30pm – parents’ evenings.
- Monday 16th March, 3:10-4:10pm – parent & pupil times tables workshop – come along and find out some fun games and activities you can use at home to help your child learn their times tables.
- Wednesday 1st April, 2pm – join us in our Science week to attend a rocket workshop featuring a real rocket.
- Reading for pleasure reading & afternoon tea parent and pupil sessions during World Book Week and Mother’s Day session.
- Friday 3rd April, 1:30pm – Easter coffee afternoon and fundraising fayre.
TBA – Y4 parent ukalele performance.
- Thursday 23rd April, 9-10 am, health and wellbeing session, including Relax Kids.
- Thursday 30th April, 9-10 am, coffee morning including e-safety information session.
- Monday 18th May, 3:10-4:10 pm, health and fitness pupil & parent session.
- Wednesday 20th May, 3sixty bike display.
- Friday 19th June – Father’s Day reading & afternoon tea parent and pupil session.
- Wednesday 8th July, 3:15-5:30pm – parents’ evening.
TBA – Annual singing picnic with infant school.
Autumn Enjoy & Achieve Week, 2nd-6th December, 2019: Plastic Fantastic?
Children will all take part in activities and lessons to enquire whether plastic is fantastic or not. All classes will share the book, “Somebody Swallowed Stanley”, other books, take part in Philosophy for Children enquiries, art projects and a range of other subject-based activities to develop their understanding of plastic pollution. The knowledge they develop will then be used to complete a written piece of work.
Spring Enjoy & Achieve Week, 20th-24th January, 2020: Fairytales with a Twist.
The week will be launched with a visit by author Stuart Reid.
Summer Enjoy & Achieve Week, 1st-5th June, 2020: World of Work.
The week will include workshops delivered by Medical Mavericks on junior careers in Health and Challenge the Champion.
World Book Week, 2nd-6th March, 2020
Our world book week, this year, will begin with all classes taking part in Lingotots workshops based on enjoying familiar stories in French. Parents are invited in throughout the week to enjoy reading with their child in the library, whilst enjoying afternoon tea. The sessions all take place at 2pm on: Tuesday 3rd March, Wednesday 4th March, Thursday 5th March, Friday 6th March – places are limited and should be booked at the school office.
Keen artists in years 5 and 6 groups will also able to make book sculptures, with artist Susan Warlock.
Science Week, 30th March-3rd April, 2020
Science week’s theme is “Our Diverse Planet”. Wednesday 1st April is a unique chance for pupils to work with Chester university to investigate how rockets work and see a real rocket. For pictures of the rocket which will be arriving in school, visit starchaser industries ltd. on the internet! Parents and carers will also have the opportunity to come in to see the rocket.